Research Fellow, Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses, New Delhi
Dr. Kalyanaraman is Research Fellow at the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses, New Delhi. His field of study is India’s foreign and security policies. At IDSA, he is also a member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Defence Studies, and Advisor for The Week in Review.
Dr. Kalyanaraman is an alumnus of Loyola College, Chennai and Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. A recipient of the Nehru Centenary Fellowship in 1995, he spent a year as Visiting Fellow at the Department of War Studies, Kings College London. In November-December 2006, he was nominated by the Government of India to attend the Security, Stability, Transition and Reconstruction Course conducted by the Asia Pacific Center for Security Studies, Honolulu. And during 2007 and 2008, the Government of India nominated him as a member of the Indian delegation to the 7-country Carnegie Forum on Global Issues.
Dr. Kalyanaraman has represented the IDSA and India in international conferences and forums. He also regularly delivers lectures at the Army War College, Mhow, the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy, Hyderabad, and the Foreign Service Institute, New Delhi.
Some of his publications are:
- The Future of War and Peace in Asia
- The Sources of Military Change in India: An Analysis of Evolving Strategies and Doctrines Towards Pakistan
- Nehru’s Advocacy of Internationalism and Indian Foreign Policy
- Major Lessons from Operation Pawan for Future Regional Stability Operations
- Thinking about Counter Terrorism in India’s National Strategy
- Asymmetric Warfare: A View from India
- India and the Challenge of Terrorism in the Hinterland
- The Indian Way in Counterinsurgency